It is believed that the origins of Lucy Group reach as far back as 1760. However, the Company has been in existence since 1812 when William Carter opened an ironmongery shop on the High Street in Oxford, UK. In 1825, the business moved to a new brass and iron foundry in Jericho in 1825, a site which became known as Eagle Works, and is still the headquarters of Lucy Group today.
Since then the Group has continued to expand and diversify into new markets and regions. Lucy Group now employs over 1,400 people and trades in over 60 countries.
Please see our illustrated timeline below to see a heritage of innovation, change and expansion:
Banbury move to Lucy Electric HQ Thame
New technology Centre at LEMT.
Lucy Group Ltd acquires Lawson Fuses Ltd.
Lucy Group Ltd acquires Arteche Electrical Switchgear Business in Brazil.
W. Lucy & Co. Ltd changed its name to Lucy Group Ltd.
Acquisition of Crompton Greaves™ equity interests in CG Lucy Switchgear Ltd and the GridKey business from Selex ES Ltd.
Lucy Electric’s Thailand manufacturing and commercial activities established.
Acquisition of Truscanian Ltd, an aluminum and bronze casting business; Lucy Castings formed combining Truscanian Ltd and Sandawana Castings Ltd.
Zodion Limited Net Assets were acquired and integrated with Lucy Lighting to become Lucy Zodion Ltd.
Redevelopment of the former Eagle Works site complete; Lucy Real Estate business unit established to combine Lucy Properties and Lucy Development.
Lucy Electric moves to Thame and all manufacturing ends at Eagle Works; third factory opens in Dubai for RMUs and SF6 switchgear.
Development agreement for Eagle Works signed with Berkley Homes.
Major business reorganisation takes place to modernise and expand the Lucy Group.
Lucy Electric opens first manufacturing unit in United Arab Emirates.
Acquisition of Power Isolators Ltd & Power Connectors Ltd.
CG Lucy Switchgear Ltd joint venture established with Grants Greaves.
Richard Dick takes over as Chairman.
Acquisition of Sandawana Castings.
WL Shareholding Co Ltd incorporated, stabilising independent ownership.
Gordon Dick succeeds as Chairman.
Gordon Dick joins Lucy’s and together with Chief Engineer L.P. Lockwood undertakes a major redesign programme.
John Reid Dick becomes Chairman.
Lucy acknowledges future lies in the electrical business by joining BEAMA.
William Madgen appoints John Reid Dick as Managing Director.
Charles Kelley takes over and forms W Lucy & Co Ltd.
Business changes name to Grafton & Lucy.
Business (now owned by Charles Grafton) renamed Eagle Ironworks.
Carter opens the Jericho Iron and Brass Foundry in Walton Well Road.
William Carter opens an ironmongery business on Oxford High Street.
The Lucy story
Our history is one of innovation and bold decisions. We have achieved growth and diversification by believing in our people, investing in new products, taking brave decisions and building trusted relationships. We believe this heritage is a strong foundation for a bright future.